Ferries that operated on the River Forth.
It is perhaps worth mentioning that this section of the River Forth has
been used as a crossing since the 11 century. Vessels being
utilised up to 1964 to carry both passengers and vehicles. From 1964 two bridges have been used, the Forth Road Bridge a direct replacement
for the Ferries and now the latest bridge the Queensferry Crossing.
The Forth Bridge has been used since 1890 to carry trains across the Forth.
The Forth Road Bridge took over from the Ferries in 1964.
The Forth Road Bridge continues to be used but with a reduced level
of traffic the bulk of the traffic now using the replacement bridge the Queensferry
Crossing which opened in 2017.