Welcome to this web site which contains details of the ferries that operated on the Firth
of Forth on the route was called the Queensferry Passage. The ferries operated between North Queensferry and South Queensferry.
Welcome to this web site which contains details of the ferries that operated on the
Firth of Forth on the route was called the Queensferry Passage.
The ferries operated between North Queensferry and South Queensferry.
The route going back as far as the 11th century in the times of Queen Margaret.
The ferries ceased to operate in 1964 with the opening of the Forth Road Bridge.
This site however concentrates on the ferries which operated between 1934 and 1964.
The ferries were making 40,000 trips a year and carrying 900,000 vehicles.
The Forth Road Bridge which replaced the ferries had 4 Million crossings in its first year increasing to an annual figure of approximately 24 Million.
Construction of an additional bridge across the River Forth was considered necessary, construction started in 2011. Both the Forth Road Bridge and the
new bridge called the Queensferry Crossing were officially opened by Queen Elizabeth II. The Queensferry Crossing was opened in 2017 exactly to the day
53 years after the Forth Road Bridge.
The ferries that operated up to 1964 were the, Sir William Wallace, Robert The Bruce, Queen Margaret and the Mary Queen of Scots.
Although ferries operated a long time before 1934 this website covers the period starting when on 29-01-1934 both the Robert The Bruce and the Queen Margaret were launched.
The Queen Margaret had a riveted hull. The Bruce was
the first ship to be completely electrically welded. Both vessels cost
£22,000 to build. They were launched at the Leven shipyard on the River Clyde which was owned by Messer's Wm. Denny and Brothers, Dumbarton Scotland. This firm also operated the ferries up to 1964.
All these ships were Diesel - Electric, Paddle Boats of 217 tons gross. The double ended design incorporated a rudder at either end which helped maneuverability. They were technically advanced for their time and more
details of the technical specifications can be found in later pages.
Many of the items on display in this site were in the possession of the late Captain John Penny who was the Master of the Sir William Wallace.
Capt. John Penny was employed on the ferries from 1946 and was a Master of the Wallace from 1956.
If you would like to contact me direct please use the email address shown below.
Photographs of the ferries are difficult to find but by searching the internet and obtaining
the appropriate permissions a collection has been built up and can be viewed by
clicking on the image below.
In addition to photographs this web site contains details of many aspects of the ferries including original documents and videos.
These can be viewed over the following pages.
A guide to the contents of the site can be found by using the Site
Map. You can also navigate through the site using the Next And Previous buttons above.