The ferries that were in use when the crossing ceased to operate in 1964 were the:-
Sir William Wallace
Robert The Bruce
Mary Queen of Scots.
Although ferries operated a long time before 1934 this website covers the period starting when on 29-01-1934 both the Robert The Bruce and the Queen Margaret were launched.
These vessels were innovative in their design while the Queen Margaret had a riveted hull, the Bruce was the first ship to be completely electrically welded. Both vessels cost £22,000
They were launched at the Leven shipyard on the River Clyde which was owned by Messer's Wm. Denny and Brothers, Dumbarton Scotland.
This firm also operated the ferries up to 1964. All these ships were Diesel - Electric, Paddle Boats.
The double ended design incorporated a rudder at either end which helped maneuverability. They were technically advanced for their time and more details of the technical
specifications can be found in later pages. Many of the items on display in this site were in the possession of the late Captain John Penny
who was the Master of the Sir William Wallace. Capt. John Penny was employed on the ferries from 1946 and was a Master of the Wallace from 1956.
Specifications of the 4 ferries:-