Ferries that operated on the River Forth.
The Bruce
The North Queensferry Harbour Light Tower is worth mentioning as it played an imprtant role, certainly when the Town Pier was used by the ferries.

The world's smallest working light tower at 5 meters high sits in North Queensferry, alongside one of the engineering wonders of the world. Built in 1817 by Robert Stevenson, after careful restoration, the Harbour Light Tower has now reopened on North Queensferry town pier.
The Lighthouse Keeper would have to climb the tower (24 steps) to perform routine maintenance such as cleaning the lamps and trimming the lamp's wicks.
Robert Stevenson advised the type of aparatus for lighting the tower and suggested and Argand oil lamp backed by a parabolic reflector. This light gave a fixed white light and was later replaced by a paraffin-burning light in around 1850.

Upon the discontinuation of the ferry service across this stretch of the Firth of Forth in 1964, the Lighthouse was no longer required and fell into disuse.

In 2010, the tower was restored and it's lantern was temporarily removed for refurbishment work, in which one window frame was replaced and all of the metalwork was cleaned and stripped back to base-metal, removing the green copper-oxide layer which had made the lantern's dome turn green. The dome was painted dark grey and all of the glass was replaced before being reinstalled back onto the tower once more.
Upon the completion of restoration work, a replica of the original set-up of Lighting Apparatus was made, including an exact copy of the type of lamp and parabolic reflector that was originally used. The Lighthouse was relit by Princess Anne.

The North Queensferry Lighthouse was constructed along with a Lighthouse at South Queensferry.
The twinned lighthouse at South Queensferry was extinguished around 1920, although it is not know why.

Further information can be found in the follwing internet pages:-
Worldwide Lighthouses
Scotland's Coastal Heritage at Risk
South Queensferry, Hawes Pier, Beacon