The piers used by the ferries at South Queensferry are also interesting.
The following 1832 map shows where the piers are situated in South Queensferry.
Known today as the Hawes Pier the 1832 map shows the pier used by the ferries was previously known as the Newhalls Pier. Taking its name from the area and the road
where it was situated Newhalls Road. The inn accross the road is currently the Hawes Inn changing its name some time around
1886, previously it was the Newlands Inn. The name Hawes came from the original name Newhalls (pronounced locally as "Newhawes")
the 'New' being dropped at a later date to 'halls inn and through time, came to be the Hawes Inn.
The pier was constructed c.1812 by Scottish civil engineer John Rennie, probably in collaboration with Robert Stevenson. It has a lighthouse
which is similar in style to the one at North Queensferry.
The pier at Port Edgar was utilsed when the Railway Pier at North Queensferry was used as a railway link between Edinburgh and Dunfermline in 1877.
Further information can be found in the follwing internet pages:-
Scotland's Coastal Heritage at Risk
A Brief History of the Hawes Inn
Dunfermline and Queensferry Railway